Friday, July 9, 2010

In Loving Memory of my Lolo Kirin.

Yesterday morning while I was at work, I received a text message from my Mom saying that my Lolo Kirin passed away. I was in shock because I just saw him the night before that and he seemed fine.

For the past two weeks, my grandparents were staying at the house here in Manila because my lolo needed to get a check up because he has lung cancer. The other night my lolo seemed fine but when I woke up yesterday, there was no one at the house and all their things were gone. I immediately thought that they probably went home to the province early and didn't want to wake me up. But something was not right, something felt off that day.

The moment I received the message from my Mom, I immediately sent DT a message asking him if I could go on break because I needed to call my mom. I told DT what happened and he asked me to log off my phone so I could call my mom. I went to the smoking area and when I spoke to my mom she was crying. My mom said that my lolo died on the way back to the province. After talking with her, I smoked one cigarette and I was trying to hold back my tears.

When I could not hold in it anymore, I texted DT and told him, "Ill be in the bathroom for a few minutes if thats ok."

"That's okay. Are you alright?", he replied.

"Not really", was my only response.

I scurried to the bathroom and locked myself in the last cubicle where I cried in silence. DT texted me and said that if I wanted to go home it would be alright. I told him that I didn't want to and that I'd rather work because it'll keep me busy to get my mind off things. He understood.

When I got back to the floor, they were asking me what happened and I told them why I was crying. They gave their condolences. Some of my friends tried to cheer me up. Bongga said that if I needed a shoulder to cry on she's there. It's good to have friends at times like these. Even my bestfriend called to comfort me. Darnell and Bugsy sent me messages. I appreciate all of these.

My lolo Kirin lives in Canada but he came home to the Philippines when he found out he was sick. In the past whenever he would come home, he would look for me and my mom. He would always want to see us. My mom was his favorite and I was his favorite too. He'd normally ask me to sing when he sees me.

When I went home last night, I spent 5 minutes standing outside the house because I didn't want to go inside because if I go inside and they're not there, it means that he's really gone. When I entered the house, I saw the mattress where he sleeps and when I woke up this morning to an empty house, it donned on me that he was really gone.

My lolo helped my mom a lot and the life I have right now, the life I grew up with, my mom and I partly have him to thank for it. I know that now he's in a better place and at least now he's no longer suffering because of cancer. He's lived a good full life and he died with the people who love him beside him.

We will miss him dearly and will always remember him for the good things he did for our family. For helping my mom when she had nothing. For taking care of me when I was a baby. For everything else he's ever done.

May you rest in peace lolo Kirin and we love you.

No comments: