Thursday, April 2, 2009

Elphaba

*UPDATED*
I added Kerry Ellis, Stephanie J Block, Teal Wicks, and Alexia Khadime.


Here I am again with Wicked Stuff. I haven't heard any updates from wicked so far. Again to those e-mailing me for the 5th year special edition Cd, look at the earlier post, I will not be back for a couple more weeks but I will upload it the moment I get back home. Well for flips sake, here are my favorite actresses who once played the role of Elphaba.




Eden Espinosa

The very first show of Wicked that I watched, it was Eden Espinosas but sadly it was the last run of Megan Hilty. Lucky me I was able to watch it. I like Eden's style in singing because she can easily bend her voice from the regular Elphaba voice to the classic "Im gonna get you and your little dog too" voice.


Shoshana Bean

Oh WOW. That's all I can say. If I had to choose, I'd say she was my all time favorite. Hands down, the best Elphaba to grace the stage of the Gershwin Theatre. Her style, her looks, everything... perfect. I love the way she puts her own riff, her own flavor into EVERY song. That's what make her a very memorable Elphaba. And I think thats what really matters. She has sang Defying Gravity in ways that have sent chills down my spine. She's awesome.




Nicole Parker

If you're a reader of my blog then you would know that I love Nicole Parker. If you dont know her, she's the one who played Britney Spears in Meet the Spartans and on MadTV also Amy Winehouse and Amy Adams in Disaster Movie. I watched her Feb. 14, 2009 performance and she sang Defying Gravity and No Good Deed that made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Now the only other singer who has been able to do that would be Shoshana Bean. Only thing I noticed is that she sings most of the songs in a lower key than that which Im used to. But she stills kicks ass.



Idina Menzel

And of course Idina Menzel. She was part of the Original Broadway Cast. She was responsible for raising the bar at a certain level for future Elphabas. She was one of the best Elphabas, though she's not the best in my book, that's only my opinion because I prefer Shoshana and Nicole. But still Idina Menzel rocks and who can ever forget the infamous red tracksuit cameo. A roaring cheer of 4 minutes or more, now I dont think any other Elphaba can beat that.



Kerry Ellis

I updated my list and added Kerry Ellis. I always knew that Kerry Ellis was from the London Production of Wicked but I never bothered to listen to her because i didn't think she was that good but when everyone was commenting on how much they loved Kerry Ellis, I decided to check out one of her performances. When I watched her and saw her version of Defying Gravity and No Good Deed, all I can say is that I was speechless. My jaw dropped and I was practically speechless. Amazing. Purely amazing.


Alexia Khadime

Alexia was Kerry's replacement and all I can say is that she is a great Elphaba. She does this thing in Defying Gravity which makes her sound like the original green witch from The Wizard of Oz movie.

Teal Wicks

For some reason a lot of people dont like Teal Wicks but I like her. She's really pretty especially during the 1st act. Plus she can really hit those high notes.


Stephanie J Block

At first I wasn't interested in SJB's style but after watching her again I realized that she's a great Elphaba. No wonder she was originally considered for the role of Elphaba during the early readings. She has this quality that I can't explain that actually makes you want to sympathize with her. All I can say is that she's good. No not just good... Great!

No comments: