Monday, February 7, 2011

Movie Review: The Rite


The other day, I decided to watch The Rite since I have been waiting for this movie for like, forever. I can say that the movie was so good that I'm making a review for it.

First of all, the opening scene. The first few minutes of the movie was enough to get me hooked. There was something dark yet relieving about it. The scene where Michael was embalming the woman seemed like a perfect scene to scare the audience but it did not. The shifted to something more light.

The movie itself, is not your typical exorcism movie. It has a mix of comedy courtesy of Anthony Hopkins. The way the scenes were done and sequenced were no less than excellent. I love how at first it went from something dark to something light back to dark until the last 30 minutes of the movie which still showed the darker side of the film.

The research and mythology of the story was treated nicely, though I must admit there was nothing new compared to other exorcism movies. I like how the film was presented, it reminded of old exorcism movies. Lately, movies of the same nature have been presented as mockumentaries(I dont know if thats how you spell it). It was refreshing to say the least.

The actors chosen for the film was not stellar(with the exception of Anthony Hopkins) but not bland as well. Though I have to admit that the only reason I watched this is aside from the fact that I like exorcism movies, Anthony Hopkins was in this one. Let's be honest, you can NEVER go wrong with Anthony Hopkins.

The setting of the story, I liked because they shot it in Rome. It gives it a more genuine feel to it. I liked the hospital where the girl died, it didn't have that creepy feel to it.

Overall, I loved this movie and if you are a sucker for exorcism movies then this would be a perfect treat. One thing I loved about this film is that it did not use the "gulat-factor" which we know plenty of movies depend on. It was scary in its own way and funny just the same.

The movie is quite refreshing and a I give it a two thumbs up.

4 comments:

Francine Morete said...

nice post!!! i might watch this movie one of this days because your review is good... have a great day!!! =)

Halfbakedboy said...

i've seen this movie. nice once. TELL ME YOUR NAME!!!! :D

John Bueno said...

Diko pa napapanood pero nakita ko na trailer and said to myself I must watch this...

Thanks for saying that its good, I'll surely go and visit the theaters soon!

Anonymous said...

Nice review, been wanting to watch that last Sunday but I hesitated, I thought I should read some reviews first, then I saw you, and again I'm wanting to watch it, like right now, pero sarado pa sinehan, 3am pa lang eh. hehe. Thanks for the review, I trust you and you're right, come one, you can never go wrong with Anthony Hopkins. :D