Monday, December 16, 2013

Internet Tethering


I have been a SmartBro WiMax user for a few years now and I rarely experience any problems with it. I think the fact that one of Smart's towers is close to where I live has something to do with that. Like any other "budget" connection, my speed varies depending on the time of the day.

When I got the unit back in 2010, my download speed reaches 150 kbps which isn't bad considering I only pay 1k per month. 

Now about a month ago, I experienced my first major issue with the service. 
I did not have any internet at home for 2 weeks. Now, as someone who is always online (because of personal and professional reasons) this pissed me off big time. I called the Smart hotline to have them look at it.

They gave me the typical response that they will file a report and that I should monitor my connection for the next 24 hours, blah blah blah.

Still, it took them 2 weeks to get my internet up and running again. The whole time that my internet was fucked up, I relied on my phone's internet connection.


Now, whoever invented the technology to tether your phone's data connection is a freaking genius. This was a life-saver for me. I managed to get my personal affairs in order and I also got some work done.

I have an existing line with Globe and I still believe that their service sucks but for those 2 weeks without any internet at home, I had to rely on Globe which did an okay job.

I got my internet back up after making another call and giving the reps at Smart an earful. Wouldn't you know it, 2 hours later my internet was back up and even faster than usual. Now, my download speed reaches almost 300 kbps.

Not bad.

No comments: