Thursday, May 17, 2012

2 Years Na Pala!


April 2010

I had just arrived from our Hong Kong trip nang tanungin ako ni Mama kung gusto ko daw ba magwork sa Manila.

I asked her why.

"One of our neighbors is working for a call center and they need agents."

I agreed.

I remember the day of my interview in perfect detail. It was a Thursday. I was wearing a blue and white stipped polo and cream colored khakis. My interview was scheduled at 10AM. I arrived at the RCBC Building in Makati at 9:30.

When I entered the office, I waited for about 20 minutes. I was the only one there. Suddenly, I saw this really tall guy and asked me if I was Anton. He introduced himself as the Operations Manager. 

The interview started. He asked me typical questions. Where I was from. My previous work experience. All that shit. The interview lasted for 12 minutes. 

I was hired.


As I left the building, I was overcome with joy. Then it hit me. I'd have to go to Baguio and pack 6 years worth of things overnight.

April 2011

I have been working for the call center for a year now. But I knew it was time to move up. I was not meant to be a call center agent forever. My dreams are as big as my waistline.

I applied for a position in the Media team after a friend of mine from the HR Department told me that they were in the process of hiring a Copy Editor.

I also remember how my interview went. How I was asked to rate my fluency in English from one to ten and without batting an eyelash, I looked at them and answered, ten.

"Cocky. I like it." said one of the interviewers flashing me a smile.

I found out that I got the job. I beat out every single applicant and all of them were external.

April 2012

Its been two years that I've been working for our company. I'm as happy as I can ever be. Slowly but surely, things are looking good for me.

I have a great job. I have a great boss. The money is kinda good considering what I do.

I'm happy right now. But my dreams are big and my boss knows that and he said he likes that about me.

He said that he'd help me in whatever way he could.

It's been two years since my life changed overnight. Two years of living in the city again. I have made a lot of wonderful friends and have met a lot of terrific people. 

Two years and about 50 pounds later, the boy from Baguio is still living in the city and working in the same company. 

And just as how he felt the day he got hired, he's still perfectly happy.

No comments: