Tuesday, June 5, 2012

SMASH


While going through PerezHilton's site a few months ago, I came across a trailer for something called SMASH. Me being the curious person I am, I played it  and when I saw Katherine McPhee, I thought to myself, 'bleh'.



But the I saw Megan Hilty who happens to be one of my favorite Broadway stars, I knew that I had to watch it because it's not everyday you see a broadway star on TV. So, I rummaged through my regular torrent sites and saw the pilot episode for Smash and as luck would have it, it was available for download.


I immediately fell in love with the first episode and I knew I was going to be hooked on this show when I heard the song 'Let Me Be Your Star'.


The show revolves around the creation of a new Broadway musical based on the life of Marilyn Monroe, which is initially entitled Marilyn and evolves to become Bombshell after its first workshop. As the production takes shape, everyone involved in it must balance his or her often chaotic personal life with the all-consuming demands of a life in the theatre. The series features original music by composers Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman.


The show has brought in stars such as Katherine McPhee (not a fan, seriously), Megan Hilty (big fan, seriously), Jack Davenport, Anjelica Huston, Debra Messing and Christian Borle.


The show also has Nick Jonas, Uma Thurman and Bernadette Peters as special guest stars with recurring roles.


Other Broadway stars who've had roles in this show (big or small) are Will Chase from the original cast of RENT; Michelle Federer, Norbert Leo Butz and Analeigh Ashford, all from Wicked. Megan Hilty also had a role in Wicked as Glinda the good.


I like this show because of my love for the musical theater and unlike other shows, most of the songs are original and not just covers although they also cover some famous songs.


Here are some of my favorite songs from the show:









The first season of SMASH is over and while waiting for the second season to air in January 2013, I'll have to settle for the reruns on my media player for now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE THIS SHOWWW! I CANNOT wait until season 2!

Adam said...

I KNOW!!! Super excited!!!