Wednesday, April 9, 2014

The Boss and I


My boss and I have a simple but also somewhat-complex relationship. I drive him crazy, he drives me crazy, but it works for the both of us. I bitch about him asking me to write stuff, he complains about how I never show up for work on time. Simple stuff. But every now and then, there are moments when we sit and talk, like good old friends, and I seek for his advice.

"Are you nervous?" he asked.

"Nervous, excited, impatient, I don't really know."

We were discussing something about work. Because it's something that's confidential, I can't really go into much detail.

"I don't know what to do or what to feel," I said.

He talked me through the whole thing and gave me advice on what to do. You see, dear readers, I am now in a phase where I am ready to step up and do more in the company so I've been trying to work on that. But at the same time, a part of me was scared shitless because my job now has become my comfort zone. I've been doing this gig for 3 years. It's a no-brainer for me now.

"You don't wanna stay here forever. You spend what, 2 hours editing articles, and the rest of the day smoking or on Facebook or those side projects we ask you to do. I don't complain because you do what you are told and you deliver what is expected of you but you don't wanna check the typo errors of our writers forever. You have the potential to do more and the company could benefit from that," he told me.

He echoed what I was feeling for some time now.

"Go to the interview and impress whoever you need to impress. I'm sure you'll do well when you get the job. Go in there, kick ass, show them that you deserve that job and maybe show up for work on time," he added with a chuckle.

My boss and I may not always see eye to eye and there are times when we argue over small things but I am glad that I have a boss who I can run to for advice whenever I need it and he would know exactly what to say to me. How lucky am I, right?

No comments: